Crushed baby potatoes with garlic
Makes 2-3 side dish servings
- 12 baby potatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- Coarse salt
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Scallion, chopped (optional)
- Boil potatoes in boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat pan and add oil. When oil is shimmering, add coarsely chopped garlic and saute just until fragrant.
- Add cooked potatoes to pan and use a flat bottomed cup to firmly press down on each potato until it splits open a bit and flattens.
- Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side.
- Add a liberal sprinkling of coarse salt. It tastes better salty, kind of like french fries.
- Plate the potatoes and garlic.
Variation 1: Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top for an extra depth of flavor.
Variation 2: Add a handful of chopped scallion on top just before removing the potatoes from the pan for a Shanghainese version.